Plastic Moving Boxes Are Not Nearly As Eco-friendly As They Want You To Believe. Our Reusable Cardboard Moving Boxes Were Green & Eco-friendly Long Before Being Green Was Trendy!
Simply because a product is coloured green or is branded as environmentally or Eco-friendly doesn’t necessarily make it so. Plastic moving boxes are very expensive, made from harmful chemicals that contribute to global pollution, and much heavier than cardboard.
Smart shoppers dig deeper.
Don’t get trapped in the ”Rent & Rush” cycle. It will cost you.
There are a number of reasons one should reconsider renting plastic EcoBox moving boxes. Most notably the ongoing cost to your wallet and the negative impact the manufacturing and delivery process have on our environment. A handful of opportunistic companies have decided there’s a quick buck to be made touting so called “green” or “Eco-friendly” moving related products. We all want to do our part for the planet, but it can be very difficult to navigate the many clever “green” marketing campaigns drafted up to boost corporate bottom lines, each promising that they are the most environmentally-friendly option.
Plastic is not a naturally occurring substance. Plastic moving boxes are constructed and manufactured with environmentally harmful oil, other petroleum based products and toxic chemicals. A very large amount of carbon is emitted into the air we breathe during the creation of plastic. Approximately 8% of world oil production is used to make plastics. This equates to 720 million barrels of oil per year to make plastic. Plastic manufacturing by-products and waste materials are often dumped into tar ponds, where they can sit for hundreds of years potentially leaching into surround forests and green space further polluting the environment. When you dig a little deeper plastic moving boxes not as green we may think they are.
Claims Made By Plastic Moving Box Companies:
- “Traditional moving supplies are harmful to the environment”
- “Eco-friendly alternative to cardboard moving boxes.”
- “superior to cardboard in all three areas: affordability, convenience and environmental impact!”
- “minimize human impact on the environment is to create sustainable solutions that are cost effective and convenient too.”
- “carbon footprint much lower than using cardboard moving boxes”
- “A cardboard box won’t stand up in the rain”
Lets Take A Closer Look at Plastic Moving Box “Eco-friendly” Claims:
- Plastic moving boxes are constructed using High Density Polyethylene HDPE which is made from environmentally hazardous oil based petroleum products.
- 14.52 pounds of oil is used to make just one 8.4 pound plastic moving box.
- 8 times more energy is used to produce one plastic moving box than is needed to produce one recycled cardboard moving box of equivalent size.
- Twice the carbon foot print delivering and pick up rented moving boxes. Burning & pumping polluting diesel emissions into the air we breathe.
- Expensive weekly rental fees that add up quickly. Moving is stressful and expensive enough without piling on moving box rental costs.
- Ongoing rental contracts that are on the rental company’s terms – not yours. This provides added headaches to the entire moving process.
- Local rentals only. Unless you’re moving to a city with a depot, forget it. These products do not serve people who live in smaller towns or rural areas.
- On top of weekly rental fees, these companies charge additional pick-up and delivery fees.
- One size plastic moving box to rent. One size doesn’t fit all. Nor should it. Your belongings are important and should be treated right.
- Plastic moving boxes are heavy when empty and extremely heavy when packed.
- 2X more harmful, polluting carbon diesel emissions are pumped into the air we breathe, delivering & picking up plastic moving boxes. Twice the amount of driving mileage, often times more, is required to deliver & pick up plastic moving boxes.
- 16% of landfills consist of plastic. Once plastic moving boxes reach their end or break they end up in landfills forever.
- Plastic takes up to 1,000 years to degrade in landfills.
- Plastic boxes are reusable, but not by you. Once you have paid to rent these boxes, you do not get any more value out of your purchase
- Divert don’t distract. Removing recycled & recyclable cardboard moving boxes from the recycling chain is a VERY BAD IDEA. Remember cardboard boxes are made from 65-100% post consumer recycled materials. If 1.9 billion recycled cardboard moving boxes were not to be produced in North America every year, millions upon millions of tonnes of recyclable post consumer waste destine for the production of new recycled cardboard boxes ends up being dumped directly into landfills.
- Finally, there are hygiene concerns to renting boxes. The risk of inviting bed bugs into your home increases immensely with used boxes. Who knows who rented the plastic moving boxes and what was put in them prior to you renting them? Owning your boxes gives you peace of mind.
Benefits of Owning Your Moving Boxes & Packing Supplies!
We pride ourselves on our ongoing commitment to environmentally responsible corporate practices. We were green before green was trendy. Here’s why:
- Our cardboard is made of at least 65% post-consumer recycled materials. Our boxes are 100% recyclable, compostable, biodegradable and reusable.
- We only sell brand new moving boxes. You never have to worry about what sort of germs, pests or smells that your boxes were exposed to before they got to you.
- Lower prices, including freedom from rental fees, pickup or delivery hassles.
- You own your moving boxes and packing supplies.
- Various sized professional grade moving boxes to choose from plus a large selection of packing supplies.
- Fast Free Delivery!*
- Pack and unpack at you own pace. No need to rush to return expensive rental moving boxes.
- Keep your moving boxes for your next move. Save time & money by not having to rent plastic moving boxes again and again.
- Unmatched customer service. We make packing & moving easier and much more affordable.